Tuesday, January 12, 2016

WELL, WE UNDER DURESS ARE IN CAPE VERDE...

    The good news is I am officially out of the EU, so I can legally claim my VAT back.  The bad news is I was 22 days shipwrecked, left for naught, with broken rudders, and had to become quite innovative in order to try to steer the boat 726 miles out in the Atlantic to the safety of the Cape Verde Islands which were 273 miles South East of my position.
     On Dec. 10, 2015 Blue and I left for what we thought would be a typical three week Atlantic crossing.  We had received help from the Spanish Social Services, so we had plenty of beans, rice, macaroni, water, supplies to go the distance.  I had checked everything I thought needed checking, and didn't notice any signs or need of repair on the rudders.  Well, one week into the journey and to my complete surprise(I felt no shock and heard no bang), my port side rudder was completely torn off like a match stick being broken.  three days later the Starboard side rudder gave way and put a 10 inch long 1 inch wide gash in the back of my boat.  This was the end I thought....  I prayed, didn't panic, and trusted God to show me what to do.  We came up with the idea to make a gondolier with the help of my spotter Carl... it didn't work well, but it helped.  Then a few nights later after seeing repeated broken gondolier prototypes (the water, waves, and force were great), I believe the Holy Spirit spoke to me about rigging my outboard engine to be able to steer.  this worked brilliantly, except, I needed Gasoline.  Three huge Cargo ships came to my rescue and dropped me fuel into the water which I retrieved with my hook and the boat using the engine to steer. 
     We managed to get within 25 miles of the first Cape Island when a British ship passing by in the opposite direction heard my distress call and offered me gas, and a tow in the remaining 40 miles to the marina mindelo in Sao Vicente.  It was truly remarkable how they were so willing to help me.  I am forever grateful, and cannot speak ill of any experience I had in Britain ever again.  they quite well saved me because it was clear the Cape Verde Authorities were not sending out boats to get me...
    Now, I am at anchor.  I left the marina this morning and anchored a few hundred feet away which is free.  However, not without risk as piracy and theft are big problems here...  I hope to go back to the marina when they are ready to work on my boat and get me ready to go.  My job told me they cannot keep my position open after Feb. 3, 2016...  I am sad about this, because I always meant to finish my two year commitment with them.
   Where we are now is here; I have not worked in six months.  I cannot afford a ticket home (2500 Euros).  I cannot afford to leave the boat here for a year (4000Euros).  I cannot afford to be in the marina, and I don't have the money right now to even fix my boat.  I have sold my dinghy just to pay the bill for the week I was there.  it is a strange place I find myself.  I don't want to be here, I don't want to be there, it is just strange...  I don't understand it... how and why could such a mess have happened to me?  The worst part is it is making my name not good, and my credit due to default is even more terrible.  GOD PLEASE HELP HERE, I THANK YOU FOR THE RESOURCES I NEED TO GET HOME ONCE AND FOR ALL WITH MY HOME NAD BACK TO WORK IN TIME TO SAVE MY NAME,  AND THANK YOU FOR THE DONATIONS POURING IN FROM GO FUND ME IN ORDER TO GET MY HOME REPAIRED AND GET US BACK OUT THER TOWARD HOME.  THANK YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment